It shall be unlawful to construct, reconstruct or repair any sidewalk within the city until the plans first have been approved by the city administrator or his or her designee and a permit issued for such work by the city building inspector.

(Code 2009)

All sidewalks constructed in the city shall conform to and be in accordance with the plans and specifications established by the city engineer which shall be maintained in the offices of the city clerk and are incorporated herein by this reference.

(K.S.A. 12-1802; Ord. 755, Sec 1; Code 1998)

When a petition signed by no fewer than 10 citizens owning real estate in the city requesting construction of a sidewalk is filed with the city clerk, the governing body may, in its discretion, by a resolution, order such sidewalk constructed as herein provided.

(K.S.A. 12-1803; Code 1998)

When any sidewalk, in the opinion of the governing body, becomes inadequate or unsafe for travel thereon, the governing body may adopt a resolution condemning such walk and providing for the construction of a new walk in the place of the walk condemned.

(K.S.A. 12-1804; Code 1998)

The resolution providing for the construction or reconstruction of a sidewalk, as the case may be, shall give the owner of the abutting property not less than 30 days nor more than 60 days after its publication one time in the official city paper in which to construct or cause to be constructed or reconstructed the sidewalk at his or her own expense. If the sidewalk is not constructed by the property owner within the time specified, the governing body shall cause the work to be done by contract.

(K.S.A. 12-1805; Code 1998)

Nothing in this article shall be construed to prohibit the owner of property abutting on a street, who desires to construct or reconstruct a sidewalk at his or her own expense and in accordance with official plans and specifications for the purpose and which meet such other requirements as would have to be met if the sidewalk were constructed or reconstructed by the city, to construct or reconstruct a sidewalk without any petition or a condemning resolution by the governing body. If such property owner desires the sidewalk to be constructed and reconstructed by the city and an assessment levied as provided by law in other cases, he or she shall file a request with the governing body. The governing body, in its discretion, may provide for the construction or reconstruction of the sidewalk requested in the same manner as in other cases where citizens or taxpayers petition the governing body.

(K.S.A. 12-1806; Code 1998)

It shall be the duty of the owner of the abutting property to keep the sidewalk in repair, but the city may, after giving five days' notice to the owner or his or her agent, if known, of the necessity for making repairs or without notice if the lot or piece of land is unoccupied, make all necessary repairs at any time. The same shall be done and the cost thereof assessed against the lot or piece of land abutting on the sidewalk so repaired as may be provided by law.

(K.S.A. 12-1808; Code 1998)

In any case where the recon­struction or construction of a sidewalk is required to be done by contract as provided in section 13-105 hereof, the governing body may require the contractor to give a bond for the faithful performance of the contract and for the construction of the sidewalk in accordance with the plans and specifications, ordinances of the city or laws of Kansas, and for all contracts exceeding $1,000 entered into by the city for any such purpose a statutory lien bond required by K.S.A. 60-1111 shall be furnished.

(Code 1998)

It shall be unlawful for any person to build or construct any step or other obstruction, whether temporary or permanent, or to store, leave or allow to be left any implements, tools, merchandise, goods, containers, benches, display or show cases, on any sidewalks or other public ways in the city or to obstruct the same longer than is necessary for loading or unloading any such article or object.

(Code 1998)

The city administrator or his or her designee may authorize the granting of temporary permits in connection with a building or moving permit for limited times only to the owner of property abutting on any sidewalk to use or encumber such sidewalk or public way of the city during the construction of any building or improvement thereon. No permit shall be issued for such purpose until plans for warning and safeguarding the public during such use of sidewalks shall have been submitted by the owner or his or her contractor and approved by the governing body.

(Code 1998)

(a)   It shall be unlawful for the owner and/or the occupant of any lots abutting upon any sidewalks to fail to cause to be removed from such sidewalks all snow and ice. If the snow falls or ice accumulates upon the sidewalks in the nighttime, removal of same must be made within 12 hours after sunrise on the following day.

(b)   It shall be unlawful for any person to place snow removed from private property upon any public street, alley or sidewalk.

(c)   That any person violating the provisions herein shall, upon conviction, be fined $25.

(Code 1998)

If any owner or occupant of any lot or lots shall refuse or neglect to clean or remove from the sidewalk abutting the lot or lots all snow and ice within the time specified, the city may cause such snow and ice to be removed from sidewalks and the cost thereof shall be assessed against such abutting lot or lots, and the city clerk shall certify the same to the county clerk for collection as provided by law.

(Code 1998)

The city clerk shall, at the time of certifying other city taxes to the county clerk, certify the unpaid costs for removal of snow or ice performed under the authority of section 13-112 and the county clerk shall extend the same on the tax roll of the county against the lot or parcel of ground. The cost of such work shall be paid from the general fund or other proper fund of the city, and such fund shall be reimbursed when payments therefore are received or when such assessments are collected and received by the city.

(Code 1998)